Conveniently located to serve Washington DC, Arlington, Bethesda
Who is a good candidate?
Patients who have a large masculine chin can be good candidates for surgery. A typical masculine chin has a W shape and has more height, projection and width. To feminize the chin, we shape the chin into a V shape and often decrease the height and the projection. An ideal feminine chin should be at a line dropped from the upper to lower lip or a few mm behind this line.
How is this procedure performed?
An incision is made inside the mouth to avoid external scars. The muscle is lifted and the bone exposed. Either just high speed burring is used to remove bone or in some cases a combination of bone burring and cutting and reshaping the bone is needed. The incisions are closed in layers.
Recovery is quick and consists of some early diet restrictions and using mouthwash. There is some swelling that can last for up to a few months and early lip/chin numbness is common. Return to work can be within a few days.
- Lip/chin numbness – most often resolves within a few months, but can rarely be permanent
- Witches chin – the mentalis muscle is resuspended after surgery, but in rare cases when this does not heal right, chin drooping is possible.
- Tooth injury – rare, but could require dental work
- Swelling – common, but generally resolves within a few months
- Wound healing issues – given the location of the incision, some patients experience slow healing of this incision
- Infection – because the mouth has an abundance of bacteria, infection is a possibility, this could require antibiotics or drainage
- Poor cosmesis – possible under/overresection poor shape is possible depending on healing
This has been an amazing experience from the consultation to post-surgery!!! I honestly can’t even express how happy & grateful I am with the results. Everyone….Dr. Ramineni and his whole team are impeccable, to say the least. A very thoughtful, professional, kind, and knowledgable team. I will 100% always refer anyone I know to this amazing team…Dr. Ramineni had a challenge when I came to see him with my issue but he 1000% went above & beyond to achieve perfection with my results. I can’t thank this team enough!! I genuinely want to thank you so much!
Dr. Ramineni was recommended to me by my plastic surgeon as a masterful surgeon who could figure out why I was having complications. He diagnosed the problem correctly and fixed it. I am grateful for his openness, his honesty, and skill.
- Saiyyaed A.
Life-altering surgeon. He helped make my dreams come true with the most flawless surgery I’d been waiting my whole life to get. Healing and recovery has been almost disturbingly easy and pain-free. I could not recommend enough. Everyone there is so sweet as well!
Dr. Praful Ramineni
Plastic SurgeON IN WASHINGTON D.C.
Dr. Ramineni is the founder of District Plastic Surgery. He is board certified and has over 15 years of experience in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He started his career as one of the busiest surgeons at Medstar Washington Hospital Center with a focus on complex reconstructive surgery including cancer and trauma reconstruction, microsurgery and aesthetic surgery.