Arm Lift (Brachioplasty )
Conveniently located to serve Washington DC, Arlington, Bethesda
Who is a good candidate?
Patients who have hanging skin on their arms despite working out may be good candidates for surgery. Patients should be healthy and at a stable weight. If arm laxity is following weight loss, you should be at a stable weight for at least 6 months to a year prior to having the surgery.
How is the procedure performed?
- Mini Arm lift – This procedure uses a short scar in the armpit area to remove skin of the upper arm. This procedure is good for patients with mild to moderate skin excess or patients where the extra skin is localized to the upper third of the arm. This surgery often includes some liposuction of the arm.
- Full Arm lift – This procedure is best in patients with significant arm laxity of the upper, middle and third of the arm (bat wing deformity). Some patients may have had previous weight loss surgery. This procedure uses a full length incision from the armpit to the elbow on the inner arm to best hide it. A very large amount of skin can be removed, leading to a significantly improved contour. Liposuction is often performed during this procedure.
Generally patients recover quickly from arm lift surgery. Mini arm lifts can sometimes be performed under local anesthesia. Most patients are back to work in 1-2 weeks and back to the gym in 3-4 weeks. Compression sleeves are often worn for several weeks after surgery.
- Numbness – there is a risk of numbness to areas of the arm or forearm due to small nerves that may pass through the skin to be excised
- Wound healing issues – Since the elbow and axilla are areas of movement, there is a chance of slow healing in these areas
- Arm swelling – in some patients the forearm and hand can have swelling after surgery, this generally resolves a few weeks after surgery
- Poor scarring – most patients tolerate the scars well, although at times there may be widening of the scars and in some cases may require a revision.
This has been an amazing experience from the consultation to post-surgery!!! I honestly can’t even express how happy & grateful I am with the results. Everyone….Dr. Ramineni and his whole team are impeccable, to say the least. A very thoughtful, professional, kind, and knowledgable team. I will 100% always refer anyone I know to this amazing team…Dr. Ramineni had a challenge when I came to see him with my issue but he 1000% went above & beyond to achieve perfection with my results. I can’t thank this team enough!! I genuinely want to thank you so much!
Dr. Ramineni was recommended to me by my plastic surgeon as a masterful surgeon who could figure out why I was having complications. He diagnosed the problem correctly and fixed it. I am grateful for his openness, his honesty, and skill.
- Saiyyaed A.
Life-altering surgeon. He helped make my dreams come true with the most flawless surgery I’d been waiting my whole life to get. Healing and recovery has been almost disturbingly easy and pain-free. I could not recommend enough. Everyone there is so sweet as well!
Before & After
Dr. Praful Ramineni
Plastic SurgeON IN WASHINGTON D.C.
Dr. Ramineni is the founder of District Plastic Surgery. He is board certified and has over 15 years of experience in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He started his career as one of the busiest surgeons at Medstar Washington Hospital Center with a focus on complex reconstructive surgery including cancer and trauma reconstruction, microsurgery and aesthetic surgery.