Facelift / Neck Lift
Conveniently located to serve Washington DC, Arlington, Bethesda
The facelift and neck lift procedures are surgical options for facial rejuvenation that are able to reduce the appearance of many common signs of facial aging. At District Plastic Surgery, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ramineni offers amazing results for patients who are interested in neck lift and facelift surgery in Washington DC.
What is a Facelift/Neck Lift?
Over time, your face and neck skin and muscle start to droop. This causes wrinkling, jowls, and deeper lines. A facelift or neck lift is a surgery that removes extra skin and lifts your muscle to reverse facial aging. This creates a more youthful appearance and improves wrinkles. The surgery is modified per patient and generally the more skin laxity, the longer the incisions. This may be combined with resurfacing procedures for fine lines or other procedures.
Who is a candidate?
Patients who have aged and have loose skin, wrinkles, a loose (turkey) neck, jowling or cheek descent are good candidates. Ideally you should be healthy, a non-smoker (or have quit), and should have blood pressure issues under control.
How is the procedure performed?
Depending on your anatomy, incisions are generally made behind, around and or in front of the ear and are hidden in natural facial creases. There may also be an incision made under your chin for neck contouring. The incisions are used to lift the skin and tighten muscle. Excess hanging skin is then removed conservatively (to avoid a fake “windswept” appearance). In some cases, fat grafting is used to replace lost volume. Sutures are placed in the deep and shallow layers and a small drain is brought out behind the ear. The head is wrapped and you are sent home the same day.
After your facelift in Washington DC, you will experience some bruising and swelling around the face. Pain should be mild and can be managed with medication. Patients are usually out of work for 1 week, although patients who are concerned about visible bruising may take 2 weeks off. Sutures are removed 5-7 days after surgery and the drain is removed 2-3 days after surgery. Scar care is started after sutures are out.
- Bleeding – can be due to uncontrolled blood pressure – may need to be drained
- Infection – very uncommon, could require antibiotics
- Nerve injury – the facial nerve runs through this area, although every attempt is made to avoid nerves, in 1% of patients one of the nerves may not work properly. This can lead to a crooked smile or facial droop. This usually spontaneously resolves within a few months, but in rare cases can be permanent. Numbness to the ear is also possible.
- Poor scarring – may need a revision, possible scars that are visible
- Hairline distortion/sideburn distortion – more common in secondary facelifts
- Recurrence – over time, you will continue to age. Generally, the surgical results can be expected to last for 7-10 years.
- Skin loss – in smokers and patients with poor blood supply, some of the skin in front of the ears can die, if this happens, scars can be wider
- Ear deformity – the incision can sometimes pull on the ear creating a “pixie” ear
- Need for revision – in some cases, revisional surgery may be needed.
- During your consultation at District Plastic Surgery, Dr. Ramineni will go over the details of your procedure like the expected cost of your facelift in Washington DC. The techniques used, anesthesia fees, and the overall work needed will all go into determining the overall price of your facelift.
Schedule a Consultation
- For more information on the procedures we perform, or to schedule a consultation for your facelift in Washington DC with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Ramineni, contact District Plastic Surgery today. Dr. Ramineni Strives to provide all of our patients with the personalized care and natural-looking results they are looking for.
This has been an amazing experience from the consultation to post-surgery!!! I honestly can’t even express how happy & grateful I am with the results. Everyone….Dr. Ramineni and his whole team are impeccable, to say the least. A very thoughtful, professional, kind, and knowledgable team. I will 100% always refer anyone I know to this amazing team…Dr. Ramineni had a challenge when I came to see him with my issue but he 1000% went above & beyond to achieve perfection with my results. I can’t thank this team enough!! I genuinely want to thank you so much!
Dr. Ramineni was recommended to me by my plastic surgeon as a masterful surgeon who could figure out why I was having complications. He diagnosed the problem correctly and fixed it. I am grateful for his openness, his honesty, and skill.
- Saiyyaed A.
Life-altering surgeon. He helped make my dreams come true with the most flawless surgery I’d been waiting my whole life to get. Healing and recovery has been almost disturbingly easy and pain-free. I could not recommend enough. Everyone there is so sweet as well!
Dr. Praful Ramineni
Plastic SurgeON IN WASHINGTON D.C.
Dr. Ramineni is the founder of District Plastic Surgery. He is board certified and has over 15 years of experience in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He started his career as one of the busiest surgeons at Medstar Washington Hospital Center with a focus on complex reconstructive surgery including cancer and trauma reconstruction, microsurgery and aesthetic surgery.