Thigh Lift (Thighplasty)
Conveniently located to serve Washington DC, Arlington, Bethesda
What is a thighplasty?
A thighplasty is an operation to remove excess skin of the inner thighs. This is frequently performed in patients due to age or significant weight loss. This can sometimes create a “thigh gap” and decrease rubbing in addition to aesthetic improvement.
Who is a good candidate?
A good candidate for thighplasty is someone who has been at a stable weight for 6 months to a year, is healthy and has adequate protein in their diet.
How is the procedure performed?
- Horizontal Thighplasty (mini) – this procedure is performed by making an incision in the upper thigh groin crease. This incision can be hidden by shorts and sometimes by bathing suits. This removes the upper thigh excess skin. It is best performed in patients with mostly upper thigh extra skin. Liposuction is often included in this procedure.
- Vertical thighplasty (full) – this procedure uses a full length incision from the groin area to the knee in either a T or upside down L shape to address extra skin in the upper, middle and lower third of the thigh including the knee area. This is often combined with liposuction.
Thighplasty recovery generally takes 3-4 weeks. Since the surgery does put some additional stress on the incision with sitting/toileting, it does tend to have more frequent slow healing than other operations in surgery. Leg/foot swelling can sometimes present for a few months, but generally resolves by itself. A compression garment is worn to help with swelling/healing.
- Slow wound healing – can happen due the weight of the thigh pulling on the incision, generally heals by itself with local wound care, but in some cases may require closure
- Scar migration – the scars are sutured to the deep tissue to hold them as close to the natural body creases as possible, but in some cases, there can be “drift” of the scar downward which can make the scars more visible in clothing
- Poor scarring – there is a chance of keloiding or wide scars
- Leg swelling – although it generally resolves soon after surgery, there is a chance of longer term swelling including lymphedema
- Numbness – there is a chance of some thigh numbness
- Poor cosmesis, recurrence – there is a chance of contour abnormalities or possibly some partial re-stretching of the skin over time
This has been an amazing experience from the consultation to post-surgery!!! I honestly can’t even express how happy & grateful I am with the results. Everyone….Dr. Ramineni and his whole team are impeccable, to say the least. A very thoughtful, professional, kind, and knowledgable team. I will 100% always refer anyone I know to this amazing team…Dr. Ramineni had a challenge when I came to see him with my issue but he 1000% went above & beyond to achieve perfection with my results. I can’t thank this team enough!! I genuinely want to thank you so much!
Dr. Ramineni was recommended to me by my plastic surgeon as a masterful surgeon who could figure out why I was having complications. He diagnosed the problem correctly and fixed it. I am grateful for his openness, his honesty, and skill.
- Saiyyaed A.
Life-altering surgeon. He helped make my dreams come true with the most flawless surgery I’d been waiting my whole life to get. Healing and recovery has been almost disturbingly easy and pain-free. I could not recommend enough. Everyone there is so sweet as well!
Before & After
Dr. Praful Ramineni
Plastic SurgeON IN WASHINGTON D.C.
Dr. Ramineni is the founder of District Plastic Surgery. He is board certified and has over 15 years of experience in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He started his career as one of the busiest surgeons at Medstar Washington Hospital Center with a focus on complex reconstructive surgery including cancer and trauma reconstruction, microsurgery and aesthetic surgery.